Friday, May 22, 2015

North Fort Myers to Marianna Florida or Bust!!!!

Howdy doodie!
It was a long, long day for Lilly and I. We got up at 5am.....did our morning business, hooked up and were on the road by 6am.
Let me brag a bit by saying that last night I had to back up my rv IN THE DARK, and not only did I not land in the ditch, but I was PERFECTLY aligned! I wanted to jump up and down, however that would have really looked silly to fellow campers, so I did restrain myself.
Now, a year from now that will not seem like any kind of acomplishment...., but for now, it was astronomical!...........
Yippee for me.
Baby steps.
As usual, I digress.
We, as I said, were on the road, by 6am, and didn't arrive at Arrowhead Campground in Marianna, Florida until 3pm. LONGEST DAY EVER! (with the exception of the day before I retired!....that was a long day as well!)
We did get stuck in a MAJOR traffic jam south of Tampa which delayed us at the very least, 30 minutes, and I did stop about every 2 hours to gas up, stretch 6 legs, and let the owner of 4 of those legs empty their  bladder.
Lilly is such an awesome traveler! If her little head is not hanging out the window, she is curled up sleeping.
The campground. I am here so that I can go see the FLORIDA CAVERNS.  https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Florida-Caverns
So, I chose a campgroud nearby. The people here are very nice. Chatty.....informative, witty,....and there is a little convenient store as well as gas pumps.
However, It is not the easiest campground to negotiate. I drove around to the stares....yes, they were staring.....of the other guests for nearly 30 minutes until I could figure out how to pull into their pull throughs......very vague parking situation. Finally, i did figure out that if I straddled the road until I got unhooked it was workable.
Leveling was an experience. My normal 30 minute set up turned into an hour and a half. This in itself was a delight after my 9 hour drive.
I'm just sayin'.
I am safely and securely situated.








Despite my 9 hour drive NORTH, the temperature is the same as it was in North Fort Myers!!!
YIKES!
I was dripping sweat from places that I didn't realize sweat glands existed!
Tomorrow is another day. I might go canoeing....Thursday are the caverns.
DAY 2:  Today Lilly and I walked around the campground and snapped few pics, and then, since Lilly collapsed under a tree and I had to carry her back after our brutal 15 minute walk, I tucked her into the camper and I drove over to the Caverns State Park for some hiking. (Caverns are closed today, so that is on my agenda for tomorrow!)
The hiking is beautiful there..........with one HUGE exception. The mosquitoes are the size of a medium humming bird, and within seconds of entering the trail your are covered with a THICK BLANKET of the little blood suckers!.........so, in true tourist style, I snapped a few pics, and in an anemic state, high tailed in back to the safety of my vehicle!
Lilly and I spent the remainder of the day putzing around the park that we are 'stationed' in.
Lovely water all around.







DAY 3:  I got up bright and early, and went to the FLORIDA CAVERNS

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Florida-Caverns

Let me just say, that if you have not gone, put it on your little 'to do' list.
It is incredible. Truly a magnificent display!
The guide was equally incredible and a veritable wealth of knowledge!
Pics below will tell the whole story much better than my jibber jabber could:























There are areas on the tour that you have to lean over to fit through the formations, however it is a fairly easy trip.

Following the caverns, I went for a three mile hike. Had the forest to myself....After yesterday's 'hummingbird' experience, I practically took a shower in bug spray, so even the mosquitoes left me alone.
Very beautiful forest!





I ended my afternoon by kayaking on the lake! It was incredible! There were these ginormous grass carps that were at least 3 feet long! I have posted a super cool video on facebook, but cannot figure out how to get it to this post. Humor me by visiting my facebook page and ohhhhh and awwww over the video!!! It would do my heart good. In the morning..........when I wake up...and not a moment sooner.....I am heading for Hattiesburg, Mississippi! See ya in a few days, folks and thanks for checking in on me. Makes me feel connected! (Karen is getting a map from AAA and tracking my progress!....what a true friend! Thanks, Kawin!)




















No comments:

Post a Comment