Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Good ...The Bad....and the Ugly....

Today marks the 1st day of my super excellent adventure........despite the title of
'Carols EXCELLENT Adventure'......and despite my super positive attitude about all aspects of my trip, there are elements that I feel need to be brought to light.......
There have been some people that have been INCREDIBLE in aiding me to succeed.....Mike Bates, for instance, took me out for a couple of hours to teach me the fine art of backing up. The patience that man had was astonishing! We backed into so many slots that I felt like I could have done it with my eyes closed........and trust me.....there were times that I felt like I SHOULD have kept my eyes closed........i digress........He is the embodiment of the GOOD. Thank you, Mike. You truly initiated my feeling of confidence!!!
Deb, I met at a coffee clutch at Bay Bayou..........she barely knew me, but took me under her wing, and she, too, took me for a backing up lesson. (of note, backing up lessons, are incredibly important as part of the traveling down the scenic highway experience.....i'm just sayin......)
She not only had me back in ......over and over....but she also had me back up the length of a couple of city blocks......
VERY helpful.
Of note....when I arrived at Tamiami RV park in North Forth Myers, with all of there lousy 'back in' spots, I went ahead and played the 'helpless card' and asked if someone could back it in for me.....which they did.....and which I was very happy about......and since you cannot always play a
'helpless card'.........and since you don't always WANT to play a 'helpless card'....(hey, it was hotter than blazes out, and i thought, 'why the heck not'...................you catch my drift  YES I KNOW....I have to learn.....tomorrow is another day.)......pick and choose your helplessness!
I digress.
Deb was MOST helpful as well.  She is ALSO the embodiment of the GOOD. She and I will be friends, i do believe, and she and i will do some trips together. AWESOME BLOSSUM.
Now, what does that bring us too?.....Hmmmmm......The GOOD.....The GOOD......???? Seems to me like a little tiny itty bitty bit of BAD is due for an appearance.
Let me introduce GREG.
Greg works for maintenance at Bay Bayou RV Resort in Tampa............I would be lying if I told you he was an unpleasant sort of a guy...........contraire........he is a most interesting kind of a guy..........architect.....alligator hunter.....lover of nature......HOWEVER let me say, he is EVIL.
He and his wife went to Alaska many years ago. They traveled to many places and brought home many memories........One specific memory that Greg loves to share........is his memory of the TAYLOR HIGHWAY.
What is wrong with that you ask?
The Taylor highway is a 90 mile stretch of gravel roads, with several 11% downhill grades. I knew about this and had mentioned to Greg that I would be traveling to Alaska and that we would be traveling on the Taylor Highway, and that I was a wee bit NERVOUS about this stretch of the journey.
GREG the BAD......proceeded to tell me .....repetitively ......about how horrible this road was.........how there were cars and RV's off the side of the highway from folks that just didn't
"make it"..
"whatever you do, don't look down".....!!!!!
The other day, I ran into Greg in the park, and he had a kind of mangled squirrel with him......I asked him what had happened, and GREG the BAD said, 'He just didn't make it on Taylor Highway"
So, folks.........despite your ''going to your happy place, thoughts'.....you will encounter the GOOD folks, that will go out of their way to make you feel great about your adventures..........and you will encounter the BAD folks who go out of their way to instill fear.
You Choose!
It is up to you what you listen to.
Mike, Deb and Greg....................I love ya!

'

No comments:

Post a Comment